Hi everyone! After yesterday’s look at series I’m not planning on finishing I thought I’d look at series that I have completed and more importantly, LOVED. I am a big fan of book series. Having the chance to see characters change and grow over the course of multiple books is just *chef’s kiss.* When I was thinking about the series in this list I realised a lot are aimed at younger readers, specially teen/YA readers. There is something about YA series that are so readable. I think though for next year I’ll be trying to find some new loves in a more adult tone of books so if you have any suggestions please let me know!
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians– Rick Riordan. This week saw the last of the Camp Half-Blood Chronicles being published. I loved both the Heroes of Olympus and the Trials of Apollo books but the original five Percy Jackson books will always have a home in me. Reading these books as a child has actually shaped my life and I wouldn’t be doing my dissertation on Classical literature without Riordan’s incredible series. My favourite book? Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth.
- Alex Rider– Anthony Horowitz. I will give the school boy spy two medals. The first, Alex was my first fictional crush. The second, it was an Alex Rider book that I can first remember buying with my own money (the book being Crocodile Tears). Read most the series in primary school and with each new book I am absorbed completely. My favourite book? Scorpia Rising.
- The Infernal Devices– Cassandra Clare. I’ll be honest another one of Clare’s series would appear on a list of series I hated but this trilogy is one of my favourites. I could reread all three and love it just as much as the first time around. I love the historical setting. I love the fantasy elements in this series. The three main characters are the best that Clare has ever written and there is a simplicity in these three books that she has since lost in her more recent releases. Will Herondale also talks in Welsh in parts so he is automatically one of my all time favourite characters. My favourite book? Clockwork Prince.
- Misborn– Brandon Sanderson. The first adult fantasy series I attempted I fell in love with. The magic system that Sanderson created was one of the best ones I’ve ever read. How the characters discover new information throughout the course of the trilogy astounded me. The twists and reveals change how I read books from that moment. I loved the characters. Even with such strong world building Sanderson managed to captivate me with his character writing. My favourite book? The Hero of Ages.
- The Gallagher Girls– Ally Carter. Continuing on from my humble beginnings with Alex Rider I discovered The Gallagher Girls. Each one of these books is incredible on its own but when you look at the whole story and how it concludes this series is incredible. Cammie is one of my favourite female characters of all time. Much like other series on this list it is how the overarching story had so many twists and turns that makes it one of my favourites of all time. My favourite book? Only the Good Spy Young.
There is my list! There are some incredible reads in this list so if you haven’t checked them out I would suggest doing so. Looking at these series I can definitely see that I love series with well written characters, especially when the characters grow and change over the course of the series. If you have series in mind that you think I would like based on this list please let me know!